We absolutely respect your right to privacy. Our overall aim is to ensure that our collection and use of personal information is appropriate to the provision of services to you and our clients and is in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
- Who we are
- The personal information we collect about you
- How we store and use your personal information
- How we might share your personal information and who we share it with
- International transfers
- Data Retention
- Your rights
- Third party sites
- Complaints, questions and suggestions
Who we are
Commonwealth Games England Limited is the data controller of the personal information that we collect from you. It is a company registered in England and Wales (registration number 1616941), whose registered office is at 307-308 High Holborn, London, WC1V 7LL
The personal information we collect about you:
If you are, or work for, a supply-side partner of Commonwealth Games England, then we will collect the minimum amount of business-specific personal data, usually your name, business role and business contact details to enable us to manage the business relationship.
If you are, or work for, a business customer of Commonwealth Games England, then we will collect the minimum amount of business-specific personal data, usually your name, business role and business contact details to enable us to manage the business relationship. In this context a customer may also be a sponsor (or potential sponsor).
Employees, athletes, volunteers, secondees and directors each have a personal agreement with Commonwealth Games England which specifies the nature and terms of the relationship. Commonwealth Games England will collect and process the minimum amount of personal data directly from each individual in order to establish and manage the relationship, including facilitating attendance at, and competing in, the various Commonwealth Games. The data will initially be collected directly from you as part of the process of establishing the relationship, then supplemented as the relationship develops.
If you sign up to join our mailing list we will collect your e mail address, together with your express consent to receive marketing communications from us. This consent can be removed at any time simply by using the unsubscribe button on any of our e mail communications.
How we store and use your personal information:
We collect, store and use your personal details as outlined above for our legitimate business interests, so that we can maintain and manage the business relationship. This allows you to be contacted in the day-to-day management of either services that you are supplying to, or receiving from, Commonwealth Games England. We do not believe that this storage and use of your personal information will unduly prejudice your rights or freedoms as an individual.
We collect, store and use your personal details as outlined above under a range of lawful bases for processing. These vary with each role and relationship, so please refer to you own personal agreement with Commonwealth Games England for further details specific to you.
This storage and use of your personal information allows you to engage with, work for, or enter into Commonwealth Games competitions on behalf of, Commonwealth Games England. We believe that this storage and use is proportionate and of mutual benefit.
We collect, store and use your personal details as outlined above with your explicit consent so that we can contact you with our newsletter. You can remove your consent at any time using the unsubscribe button on any of our e mail communications sent to you. We do not believe that this storage and use of your personal information will prejudice your rights or freedoms as an individual.
All other users of the website
We may collect, store and use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To make the sites available to you; and
- To provide any services that you may request by contacting us.
- detecting and preventing fraud;
- Keeping our websites, apps, products and IT systems secure;
- Ensuring that our own processes, procedures and systems are as efficient as possible;
- Analysing and enhancing the information that we collect;
- Determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and advertising; and
- If you have joined our mailing list and you have given us your consent, contacting you (including by SMS and e-mail) with information which we think may interest you.
- Commonwealth Games Organising bodies
- Third-party service providers: We may share information with third-party service companies for them to facilitate or to provide certain services on our behalf. This will include:
- IT support service providers;
- Third-party service providers who track our customers' use of the sites and our services for us.
- Merger or acquisition: We may need to transfer information about you if we are acquired by or merged with another company. If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified by email and/or a prominent notice on our sites of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
- Sometimes our use of your personal information is for purposes which are ancillary to the provision of the site and services, or which are desirable in order to make them to operate more effectively. In those circumstances, we believe we have a legitimate business interest in handling your personal information, and do not believe that this storage and use of your personal information will unduly prejudice your rights or freedoms.
The relevant circumstances are:
We also collect anonymised details about visitors to our websites for the purposes of generating site statistics, reporting purposes or improving our website and marketing effectiveness. However, no single individual will be identifiable from the anonymised details we collect for these purposes.
We will disclose information under the following circumstances:
In the lead in to each Commonwealth Games event, we create a new iteration of Team England to provide athletes and support personnel to represent Commonwealth Games England at the event. This representation involves competing, officiating, supporting and every human aspect of running a large scale multi-sport team. To do this we will share information with the Games Organising Body, as they require, in order to effectively to run the Games. This information will only be shared with your express consent, and you may be required to provide and share additional information not previously held by Commonwealth Games England. Each Games Organising Body will be expected to provide adequate security provisions to ensure the security of your personal data for the duration of the games.
These companies are contracted to use your personal information only as necessary to provide the relevant services to us and are required to maintain full security and confidentiality.
All of Commonwealth Games England’s core business systems store and process data within the European Economic Area (EEA). Information shared with Commonwealth Games Organising Bodies may require international transfers, depending upon the location of the Games, which is entirely beyond our control. Such data transfers will only be made with your express consent.
Technologies such as cookies, beacons, tags and scripts are used by us and our affiliates, or analytics or service providers. These technologies are used in analysing trends, administering the sites, tracking users’ movements around the sites and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
We employ comprehensive, reasonable and appropriate security measures to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of the personal information we process. This includes organisational security (passwords and access controls), physical security (data centre and hard copy file protection) and IT security (encryption). Please note that no transmission over the Internet can ever be guaranteed secure and as a consequence please note that we cannot guarantee the security of any personal information that you transfer over the Internet to us.
We retain information (including personal information) for the minimum reasonable time period to allow us to provide our services and will delete it after that time. The only exceptions are in cases where we need to keep limited personal information to comply with our legal obligations, resolve ongoing disputes, or enforce our agreements.
Should you require more detail about our retention timescales for a specific category of data or information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You have certain rights in relation to your personal information. If you would like further information in relation to these or would like to exercise any of them, please contact us at email@example.com at any time. You have the right to request that we:
- Provide access to any personal information we hold about you
- Update any of your personal information which is out of date or incorrect
- Delete any personal information which we are holding about you
- Restrict the way that we process your personal information
- Prevent the processing of your personal information for direct-marketing purposes
- Provide your personal information to a third-party provider of services
- Provide you with a copy of any personal information which we hold about you; or
- Consider any valid objections which you have to our use of your personal information
- We will consider all such requests and provide our response within a reasonable period (and in any event within any time period required by applicable law). Please note, however, that certain personal information may be exempt from such requests in certain circumstances.
If an exception applies, we will tell you this when responding to your request. We may request you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity before responding to any request you make.
Third party sites
Complaints, questions and suggestions
We have a nominated person to assist with all queries regarding our processing of personal information who can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any complaints, questions and suggestions about our sites or services, please contact us at email@example.com
In the EEA, you may also make a complaint to our supervisory body for data protection matters (the Information Commissioner's Office in the UK, see www.ico.org.uk) or seek a remedy through local courts if you believe your rights have been breached.