As we look ahead to the delayed 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games, which starts this weekend, we thought it would be exciting to share some facts and figures about former Team England athletes due to compete in this prestigious event.
- Of the 376 selected athletes for Team GB, 114 have represented Team England at a previous Commonwealth Games
- 68 athletes competed for Team England at Gold Coast 2018, 50 of which medalled at the Games.
- 9 athletes competed for Team England at Glasgow 2014, 7 of which medalled at the Games.
- 37 athletes have competed for Team England at both Gold Coast 2018 and Glasgow 2014, 34 of which medalled in at least 1 of the Games.
- 23 athletes medalled at both Gold Coast 2018 and Glasgow 2014.
- Asha Philip (athletics), Lauren Smith (Badminton), Tom Daley, Jack Laugher (Diving), Max Whitlock (Gymnastics), Giselle Ansley, Hollie Pearne-Webb, Maddie Hinch, Susannah Townsend, Laura Unsworth (Hockey), Adam Dixon, Phil Roper (Hockey), James Wilby, Adam Peaty, Ben Proud, Molly Renshaw, Aimee Willmott (Swimming), Jonny Brownlee, Vicky Holland (Triathlon), Zoe Smith (Weightlifting).
- Aimee Willmott, Commonwealth Games England board member, has represented Team England at three Commonwealth Games (Gold Coast 2018, Glasgow 2014 and Delhi 2010).
- The Team GB Table Tennis team for Tokyo 2020 is made up of all Team England players, who represented the team at Gold Coast 2018 and Glasgow 2014.
- Players – Paul Drinkhall, Tin-Tin Ho, Liam Pitchford
- 5 Team GB athletes have represented Team England at previous Commonwealth Youth Games
- 2 athletes competed at the 2017 Commonwealth Youth Games in the Bahamas – Tom Dean & Alicia Wilson (Swimming)
- 3 athletes competed at the 2015 edition of the Youth Games in Samoa – Hannah Williams (athletics), Joe Litchfield (Swimming), Alex Yee (athletics) – but is competing in Triathlon at Tokyo 2020
- 7 of our Team Leaders for Birmingham 2022 are also Team Leaders for Tokyo.
We will be releasing an article celebrating our brilliant para-athletes in the build-up to the Paralympics next month.
Good luck, from Team England to all the Team GB athletes!